Monday, October 5, 2009

Green Holiday: Birthday

This year for my birthday I wanted an autumn birthday... something with pumpkins, a hay maze and something involving a wheelbarrow. I found a great autumn festival at Carter Mountain Orchard in Charlottesville but it was a bit of a drive for the five of us, so my girlfriend found a wonderful little pumpkin farm in Richmond which allowed us to spend the night in a hotel, swim with Aoife and enjoy my favorite grocery store in Richmond: Whole Foods!

I made up a batch of my grandmother's 14-karat cake in little cupcake form with all organic goodness and lots of love. We carpooled up to the city and enjoyed supporting the local farms by choosing a pick-your-own field (which I'm a huge fan of!) After picking at least 10 pounds of pumpkin, enjoying the great picks at Whole Foods and driving home, I was surprised with a birthday party with friends the weekend I returned home!

Joshua had ordered a cake that resembled my gift from him: a new digital SLR camera, with telescope and macro lenses and Photoshop package. I love supporting local businesses and my friend Beth made a really great cake with a mini-fondant representation of me on top.

I felt as though my reputation as being a greenie has finally permeated all areas of my life, because for my birthday I received fair-trade pottery and fair-labor jewelery and a live autumn plant!

No comments: